French movies & coffee

9:40 pm

Winters are beginning. And so are my exams. I'm not sure I'm fond of either of them. I liked how the weather was, say, a week or two back and I wish it would stay like that for ever and ever and ever. Maybe if I'm friends with that Percy Jackson guys, he'll do it for me? Or ask his super cool relatives from the Greek Mythology? Either ways, since I'm not friends with Percy Jackson (or any other person from Camp-Half Blood), I don't think I have a chance at weather freezing (ha!) and must simply adjust to the changes.

Everything is turning so cold these days. I like it now but I'm not so sure I'll like it a month later when the chill starts reaching my bones. Or in December in general. How is one supposed to give their 1st semester exams in their Masters in December? It's cold. It's freezing. It's inhuman to make anyone write in such a time. And, now, even though I spend some time with Plato and Aristotle, trying to understand what the hey they think about poetry and why exactly it matters, and what crazy bawdy stories Chaucer came up with waaaaay back in history, I get tired of it. And, honestly, who wouldn't?

So these days, I'm de-stressing, how? By watching movies. And, somehow, they're French. But then again, my options in English are Paranormal Activity and such like which I refuse to watch alone. And I am not that shameless yet to go out for The Social Network when my exams are round the corner. I, however, am shameless enough to watch french movies at home, curled up on my mat, inside my cozy blanket with a nice mug of coffee. Now, I know what they say about coffee making your nerves all wrung up and making you all edgy.. But, I find coffee among some of the most relaxing things. A nice mug of coffee (cold coffee in summers) somehow manage to calm me down and not give me a headache and not make me zonked out or blank or crazy-bitch.

So, what have I watched till now? Mainly the movies I have seen before. Them being:
1. Amélie (Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain)
2. Priceless (Hors de Prix)
3. Coco Before Chanel (Coco Avant Chanel)
4. Persepolis

I'm a big fan of Audrey Tautou. Big Surprise.

Amélie is one of the best, quirkiest and cutest movies ever made. It is so magical and I end up relating to Amélie so much. And it tells you so much about living your own life to the fullest. Like Amélie, we all realize how important it is to live life like there would be no tomorrow and help others' achieve it but when it comes to us, we shy away. Besides, this movie pays a lot of attention to one my my personal favorite paintings by Pierre-Auguste Renoir--- Luncheon of the Boating Party.

Then there is Priceless. It is a modern day Breakfast at Tiffany's. In fact, the director of Priceless himself admits to be inspired by the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's and both the book and the movie are among my favorites (I am a huge fan of Audrey Hepburn as well... maybe actress with the name 'Audrey' are talented).

Coco Chanel was one of the best things that ever happened to fashion. Coco Avant Chanel is a brilliant movie. It does not glorify Chanel or bitches about her. Okay, so she was a little too obsessed with the colour black, but then again, considering she was living at a time when everything pink and frilly and gordy was considered fashion, I don't blame her.

And last, there is Persepolis. Seriously, watch this one. Audrey Tautou is not in this movie but this is a classic. As goos as the book itself. It is cool and you will love the way Marjane Satrapi's character starts singing "Eye of the tiger" with an Iranian accent!! It is brilliant. It is technically an animation but it is better than anything you can possibly imagine.

I now want to see He loves me... He loves me Not (À La Folie... pas du tout). It deals with Erotomania, a psychological disorder also known as "Delusions of Love". At present, I am very very intrigued with this psychological disorder. Maybe I should download it. Hmmm...

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images