It may be normal darling; but I'd rather be natural.

5:26 pm


"I want to still be me when I wake up one fine morning and have breakfast at Tiffany's."

--Holly Golightly

(Breakfast at Tiffany's)


"...it could go on for ever. Not knowing what's yours until you've thrown it away."

--Holly Golightly

(Breakfast at Tiffany's)


So i finally read Capote's masterpeice. Breakfast at Tiffany's. Now the thing is, Harper Lee is one of my favorite author, ever and her book is my the favorite. So when I was reading someone's blog last year that praised Capote's In Cold Blood, I was intriguiged. That's beacuse Truman Capote & Harper lee, as it turns, were best friends. miracles do happen, that someone like Harper Lee and Capote could be friends, good friends. This bit came around after I took the pains of finding, buying (there was only one copy of it at Tekson's) & reading it.


Very frankly speaking, I didn't like In Cold Blood as much as I thought it would, which was disturbing mainly because the person on whose blog I discovered its existance is somebody I respect a lot. The reason I was shocked was beacuse the author was my favorite author's best friend!


But then I read Breakfast at Tiffany's. And I saw the difference between Capote, the ordinary man and Capote, the author. This novella is an absolute masterpeice. I love it! Ofcourse, if you've seen the movie & read the book, you'll see a lot many variations, so many that Capote wouldn't have even recognised this a his own plot. Now, while I do think Audrey Hepburn was the mot beautiful woman ever born, she was not blonde as Holly Golightly is supposed to be. The unnamed narrator has a name in the movie. Holly finds her cat and her true love in the narrator. It didn't happen.


But that does not stop Breakfast at Tiffany's from being one of the most amazing books written in istory. The plot? Pretty simple. Some may even describe it as one of those tales where nothing happens, but then, they haven't read Waiting for Godot. So there is this guy, a struggling author (all authors struggle in the begining; I should know that) who lives in New York City in an apartment which he has rented and below his apartment is Holly's apartment, a caf girl who makes a living coaxing money off rich men. Obviously, our otherwise boring narrator falls for Holly. The ctach? Well, Holly isn't exactly 'conventional', she's well...very...bold.


Anyways, its a lovely book. Read it. It's not a mushy love story. Its a story, a simple story, written brilliantly.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images