The literary characters I would love to meet in real life.

11:08 pm

You know how there are those interviews of people in magazines and stuff where they ask if there was anyone fictional figure they could meet, who would it be. I have always found it unfair for those people to be forced to choose just one. If it were me, I'd go crazy thinking which person to single out. I'd like to meet so many people straight out of literature! So here I am, blogging about the fictional people I'd love to meet (literature only, otherwise the list might never end!).

Here they are in random order:

1. Mr. Darcy

He really does top my list! My feeling for Mr. Darcy can be summed up in the following pic that I found online:
Many criticize that Mr. Darcy is just too good to be true and while that may be true, the fact that he is all Perfect isn't. Let's not forget that the first impression he gave to Elizabeth and her friends wasn't altogether favorable. He is a snob, and that's not perfect. No. But he is a gentleman, all honorable and so tall and handsome. And he does sweet things for love! Sigh.. I won't even bother defending him anymore. I love Mr. Darcy, and would want to meet him any day! 

2. Harry Potter characters

Even though my favorite characters from the Harry Potter series Dumbledore, Hermione, Remus Lupin, Minerva McGonagal, Ron and Harry, I would pretty much love to meet anyone out Harry Potter's wizarding world. Except maybe Voldermort and that'd only because he's not so fond of muggles and may want to kill me on spot with his Avada Kedavra. Harry Potter books are one of most cherished part of my childhood and now, my adulthood. Even after all these years, when I am low and need to get some tlc, I prop a Harry Potter book open and everything's okay again. 

3. Hercule Poirot

I love, love, love Hercule Poirot! I have this thing where sometimes in my ever so fanciful imagination, I deny to admit that all these characters aren't real people and then I imagine Poirot's reaction if I actually went up to him and told him how cool I think he is! I imagine him going all Belgian on me, muttering fake-modest replies in English and French, twirling his famous mustaches! I love that he is so intelligent, so emotionally aware and yet so immodest! I love that he's a little dandy who insists on wearing patent shoes even while taking a walk in the country. Definitely would be an immensely interesting person to meet in real life.

5. Sherazade

I've always loved her character. She is witty, beautiful and apparently a great story teller. Not to mention brave. It must take great courage to willingly get married to half crazed homicidal king who kills his wives after the wedding night and basically gamble on your life. She is the ultimate story teller. I would love to go up to her and pretty much bow down in front of her. 

6. Umrao Jan Ada

I read the novel Umrao Jan Ada for the first time last year as a part of my Masters syllabus. Many argue that Umrao Jan was a real person, a real tawaif in Lucknow but I don't think it has been proved. So I'll count her in as well. She wasn't out right pretty if the novel is to be followed, but had great charm, had all the social ettiquetes, could dance, sing and write poetry. Plus, the ordeals that she had to go through in her life! She was another strong woman that I have loved reading about.

7. Scarlett O'Hara and Melanie Hamilton Wilkes

Speaking of strong women... How can I leave these two behind? Gone With The Wind is one of my favorite books ever and more than anything else, I admire these two women in the book the most! Scarlett and Melanie are very diffrent people, in fact their characters are totally opposite. But I have learnt a lot from them. While yes, much as I admire Scarlett, I assume she won't be a picnic to meet up with. But still, I would love to observe her. She is so cool! Melanie is a true Lady, and so nice. I want to be best friends with her, yay!

8. Atticus Finch

Confession time: I wanted to be a lawyer because I was totally taken by Atticus Finch's character. I think if I had to pick any one novel as my absolute favorite, above all the rest, I'd pick To Kill A Mockingbird. I don't read it as often as I do other books like the Harry Potter series or Gone With The Wind, Rebecca, Wuthering Heights, Malgudi Schooldays etc but I do read it once a year, every year. I think one of the main reasons I left law was because I didn't have the dedication and more importantly the guts like Atticus Finch. Among all the characters in literature, I don't respect any one more than him. There is one particular part in the novel that describes him that's by his daughter about him that I love especially and it goes:

' When the three of us came to the house, Atticus would sweep off his hat, wave gallantly to her and say, “Good evening, Mrs. Dubose! You look like a picture this evening.”

I never heard Atticus say like a picture of what. He would tell her the courthouse news, and would say he hoped with all his heart she’d have a good day tomorrow. He would return his hat to his head, swing me to his shoulders in her very presence, and we would go home in the twilight. It was times like these when I thought my father, who hated guns and had never been to any wars, was the bravest man who ever lived. '

This description of Atticus Finch, this scene, this definition of bravery is something that has stayed with me. I may not love Atticus the way I love say, Mr. Darcy but his character affects me in a way that no other fictional character has.

9. Juliet Ashton, Dawsey Adams, Sidney Stark and Isola Pribby

I got a copy of The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society on my birthday last year and within minutes of beginning to read it, fell in love with it! While I wouldn't mind meeting any of the characters out of this book, I especially would want to meet these four. Here are the reasons--

Juliet because in many ways she is so like me. Not that I have ever thrown a tea pot at someone. And I totally get her possessiveness over her books. 

Sidney because every girl apparently wants a .. best friend, shall we say? No spoilers here. He is an amazing character though and I loved the letters he and Juliet exchanged. I am one of those people who enjoy writing letters but in today's age and time of technological development, have no one to write it to. 

Dawsey because he is so sweet! And such a gentleman! You have to read the book to know why I like him so much.

Isola because she is Isola. The girl's got spunk, I tell you. She's amazing! And so cute! I love her reactions and observations. Hee. I love how after she began reading Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice on Sidney's suggestion, she (in Juliet's words) "berates" Juliet for "never telling her about Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy.  Why hadn't she known that there were love stories not riddled with ill-adjusted men, anguish, death graveyards! What else had we been keeping from her?" And I love her for copying Miss Marple to the T.

10. Cathy H.

Never Let Me Go is one those novels that doesn't leave you so easily even after you're done reading the book and have put it down. It follows you, it effects you. I want to meet Cathy and give her a big hug and tell her that it is okay.

11. Captain Haddock, Professor Calculus, Thompson and Thomson

Before Harry Potter entered my life, The Adventures of Tintin comprised my childhood! My dad, who is a huge Tintin fan himself, had introduced me to this beautiful and witty and funny series when I was a child and that has stayed with me ever since. Sometime my dad and I actually talk like Tintin characters. To be precise: we talk like Tintin characters, my dad and I. I love each and every character in this series but Captain Haddock, Professor Calculus and the Thompson twins are my absolute favs! They are capable of inducing comic relief anywhere. They are the reason I actually laugh out loud when I am reading anyone of those Tintin books!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images